The Cromleac of the Phantom Stones
This small and very beautiful dolmen is located in the chain of intact monuments directly across the road from the visitor centre, between Circle 3 and the Kissing Stone. The dolmen stands at the centre of a low flat mound some twelve meters in diameter and one meter high.
These low platforms or tertres, are a feature of the early neolithic monuments in Brittany which the Carrowmore monuments appear to be deriveed from. The communal burial chamber is raised above the surrounding ground level. There are remains of many such neolithic platforms at Carrowmore.
When Petrie recorded the monument in 1837 there was a circle of 40 stones surrounding the platform; today there is only one stone remaining on the north side of the platform. Charles Elcock discovered that a zealous tenant, who had been clearing the field in 1840, had dug pits and tumbled the circle stones down, where they still lie buried. Elcock dubbed this monument the Cromleac of the Phantom Stones, or simply Phantom Stones. The tips of several stones can be seen when the grass is short.
Like all the other monuments at Carrowmore, this chamber would have been cleared by Walker before Petrie's visit in 1837. Wood-Martin's excavation report is given below. He found that the floor of the chamber was flagged. About 6 kg of cremated bone was found here.
Borlase: -No. 4 (dolmen-circle, a short distance to the northeast of the last). "This circle is in part destroyed, but the cromleac is untouched. The diameter of the circle is 40 feet, and the number of stones appears to have been forty, but twenty-one only remain. The cromleac of this circle is a good example of the size most common to such monuments in Carrowmore. It is formed of five supporting-stones, and one table-stone. It measures altogether not more than 5 feet in height, and the table-stone is 14 feet in circumference." - Petrie.
The circle had, when Colonel Wood-Martin visited it, been buried by the tenant, except one boulder.