Near Tullaghan in County Leitrim, an interesting complex of monuments known as
Wardhouse is found close to the Atlantic shore. The remains of a possible four megalithic chambers, standing stones, and perhaps a barrow are found in a field overlooking the sea.
The land is privately owned, and visiting the monuments is not encouraged:
many Irish landowners still fear being sued, should an accident befall
a megalith hunter. The megaliths consist of a ruined court cairn, two
wedges, and a monument of uncertain type. It is not unusual to find
different types of megaliths clustered so closely together.
This is an area that has suffered badly under the Celtic Tiger era. Close by are seven or eight slabs, the remains of a wedge cairn. The property around these ancient megaliths has all been developed, and now the monuments are surrounded by an estate of ugly and often unfinished holiday homes.
Many megalithic monuments were dismantled and reused to build field walls as part of estate improvements and land clearances in the period between 1800 and 1840. The industrial revolution and modern farming ideas also contributed to the loss of many monuments.
It is not too common to find groups of different types of megalithic chambers grouped together. The monuments may well be the remains of a group of court tombs, with some later wedge monuments. The different types of monuments were most likely built by differing groups of neolithic people. There is a cluster of Carrowmore style monuments further up the coast at Finner, while the closest group of Court style monuments is found at Cliffoney to the south.
Two monuments, a passage grave chamber and a wedge are found a short distance to the north at Magheracar, close to the old border between Counties Donegal and Leitrim.
The Wardhouse megaliths are located within a very beautiful section of the coast between the rivers Duff and Drowse, and not far from the Duff waterfall. The monuments are on private land, and you must seek the owners permission before visiting the sites.