The wide view to the north from Cairn B, which is perched on its spur to the right. In the distance is Knocknarea and the Cuil Irra peninsula. To the left of the photo are Treanmacmurtagh and Kesh Corran.
We resumed work on June 20th, the party consisting of R. A. S.Macalister, E. C. R. Armstrong, W. A. Green, and R. L. Praeger. On that afternoon further excavations were made at Carn E without result; subsequently we divided, and while Macalister and Green photographed at Carns G, H, and K by flashlight and daylight, Armstrong superintended a new attack on the large ruined Carn F, and Praeger surveyed the southern portions of Carrowkeel, traversing some miles of rough ground, and finding one small additional carn, lettered A. The position of the great cap-stone of Carn F, impending over the excavations, compelled a cessation of work at this carn after a few hours.
The remainder of the 22nd was devoted to removing and examining the bones, etc., from the chamber, and also to an examination of the small Carn A, discovered on the previous day; but this we decided was not worth the labour of opening, as it appeared too small to contain a chamber. Friday, June 23rd, was occupied in making a plane-table survey of the old village site discovered on the plateau below Cams O and P; and on account of the roughness of the ground, the number of the hut-sites, and the inclemency of the weather, this work occupied the whole day.
A pickaxe at the newly opened entrance to Cairn B at Carrowkeel in 1911.
On the morning of Saturday, 24th, Macalister and Praeger checked measurements and photographed, while Armstrong was engaged in packing the bones and other objects for transport; and in the afternoon the party returned to Dublin.
Cairn A at Carrowkeel. Cairn B can be seen on the spur called Treanscrabbagh, top right. Cairn A has no chamber but commands a wide view of the surrounding landscape.