Praeger sitting on Cairn F before the excavations began in October 1911.
We again assembled at Tower Hill House on the afternoon of October 10th, and next morning started with four men at the group of mined cists at the north end of Carn E. By the afternoon we had cleared out two almost which still contained burned bones and some other and had laid bare the whole series of cists. uninjured side-chambers, remains, Attention was then directed to the great Carn F, of which, as already mentioned, it was evident that the chamber-roof had collapsed; but the indications of a structure of noble proportions were so pronounced that we had determined to attempt to remove the many tons of material, great slabs mixed with rubble that had poured into the chamber. The first operation, the breaking up and removal of a huge slab, measuring 9 feet by 6 feet, which impended over the rim of the excavation, was successfully accomplished.
Plan and elevation of Cairn F by Macalister & company in 1911.
Next morning work was resumed, and the whole day was spent in clearing out the large antechamber inside the doorway, which was by degrees uncovered, and in measuring and photographing it.
Cairn F viewed from Cairn B, 600 meters away across the valley of Lough Availe.