This Giant's Grave was a huge monument, probably as large as Creevykeel court cairn is located on a farm one
kilometer east of Cliffoney crossroads. This crossroads, some 200 meters from the megalith, is the traditional village midsummer bonfire site. There are two wells, a mound and a fine rath close by.
A long gallery and massive end slab stand
in a working farmyard, and us sometimes used to store stakes and other fencing
materials. The artist William Wakeman illustrated the monument twice. He gives the name
Toomnaformire (The Grave of the Great Man), which appears to be a folk
memory of the Formorians, who are said to have had fortresses at nearby
Mullaghmore and on Dernish island.
The gallery at is Cartonplank is about 7.5 meters long by 2 - 2.5 meters wide, and is entered by a 'pair of well matched jambs'. The chamber was divided into two or three compartments, the end closed off by a massive triangular flag, 2.4 meters high. There are two stones remaining of the court on the south side. Some confusion has arisen in relation to Wakeman's illustrations of these monuments.
Borlase, in his 1895 Dolmens of Ireland, W. G. Wood-Martin mixed up his illustrations when completing his Rude Stone Monuments in 1888 the Creevykeel painting reproduced near the top of the page as an image of Cartronplank.
The megalithic monument is close to the summit of Cliffoney hill, and located about 200 meters west of the Cliffoney river, possibly marking an ancient ford. The land drops away down to the shore at Cliffoney beach 1.5 kilometers to the west. There are two wells close by, both within 100 meters of the monument.
There are several notable ringforts close by, including a large, well preserved
example just 300 meters away on the summit of the hill, a large platform mound some 30 meters in diameter that commands wide views across the surrounding countryside.
Megalithic survey Report
This monument was first shown on the 1912 edition of the OS 6-inch map. It is situated on flat arable land, close to a farmstead, about 40m to the S of Cliffony cross-roads. The structure is heavily overgrown and has been used as a dump for rubbish. The East end of the tomb is incorporated in a field fence.
The monument consists of a fairly well preserved gallery preceded at the East by two stones representing the remains of the North arm of a court. The gallery is about 7-30 meters long and narrows from 2-20 meters wide inside the entrance to 2-40 meters wide at the back. There are no traces of a mound around the structure.
Two jambs, set 50cm apart, mark the entrance to the gallery. That at the South measures 1- 10 meters by 90 cm and is 80 cm high. The second jamb measures lm by 20 cm and is 20 cm lower
than its fellow. The South side of the gallery consists of six orthostats and the opposite side has one less. Those at the South vary from 70 cm to l-60 meters in length and are from 45 cm to 90 cm thick. Their heights from East to West respectively, are: 50 cm, 50 cm, 40 cm, 30 cm and 8 0cm. The orthostats on the North side are from l meter to l-70 meters in length and 35cm to 80cm thick. Their heights are difficult to ascertain because of the fill in the gallery and the heavy overgrowth. However the two at the W are each about 80cm high and the others are somewhat lower.