Dolmen 54 is a small unipmosing megalith with a strangely shaped capstone, not unlike the prow of a small ship. The circle was dismantled around 1837 and used to build fieldwalls, and the mound or tertre was ploughed away by improving tenants. The capstone of the dolmen is somewhat de-stabilized and is partly off its supporting orthostats.
The circle, a physical and symbolic boundary between the world of the living and the lands of the dead, was broken up shortly before Petrie's visit in 1837.
A fragment of Carrowkeel ware pottery, discovered in this monument by Walker, was confused with a pottery sample from Moytura at Lough Arrow by Wood-Martin. The confusion was sorted out bt Michael Herity in an article published in 1970.
Site 54: - Borlase
Situated at the angle of the field, northeast of the cairn called Listoghil, and to the east of LXV (dolmen-circle). "Of this circle, also, only a few stones are left, the rest having been carried away to clear the ground; but the cromleac is untouched, though covered with stones collected off the land." - Petrie, 1837.
"Three small fragments of uncalcined bones, pieces of oyster-shell, and a flint flake, represented all that was discovered here." - Wood-Martin. ''The few stones yet remaining of those which formed this monument may now be seen in the fences around a neighbouring cottage." - Wood Martin.