Circle 32 on the south side of Carrowmore has a nearly intact circle. There is a fine view of Queen Maeve's Cairn on the summit of Knocknarea to the west.

 
Main Page
Woodcuts

Tour Guide


Introduction
Monuments
Dates
Finds
Destruction
Clickable Map
Borlase's Introduction



Knocknarea
Queen Maeve's Cairn

The Glen
Carrowkeel

Shee Lugh

Sliabh Dá Eán

Cairns Hill

Abbeyquarter

Doonaveeragh Village

Caves of Kesh
Cairns Hill

Moytura

Knocknashee

Sheemor

Kilclooney More

Newgrange

Circle 32 sits on top of a small hill and commands great views of the surrounding countryside. The circle is pretty complete: 27 stones in a ring measuring almost 15 meters in diameter. A split boulder near the centre of the circle is probably an unopened chamber. The site stands on private property at the back of a cottage and is quite overgrown. Several large boulders in the fence at the back of the cottage garden are thought to be stones from Circle 31.

A large cairn is reported to have stood on the summit of Lachtareal Hill, about 100 meters to the east of here. It was destroyed by the huge quarry in that area. Circles 33, 34 and 35 are completely destroyed.

Circle 36, about 300 meters southwest of Circle 32, is fairly complete. There are 49 stones in a ring 19 meters in diameter. Some of the stones on the west side of the ring have fallen out due to quarrying. This impressive circle is unexcavated and on private land.

Immediately beside Circle 36 to the east is a mound of stones about 3 meters high and 10 meters in diameter. Reports say bones and charcoal were found by a tenant, which may indicate it is man-made.

Site 32

No. 32 (1). Situated a few paces to the S. of XLI (dolmen-circle). "This circle is nearly perfect, but the cromleac is broken. The stones are of small size, and the diameter of the circle 42 feet." - P.

No. 32 (2). Adjacent to the two last (cairn). "Within the memory of the old people (living in 1837), there was a remarkable cairn adjacent to these (last two) circles, which gave name to the hill Leachtareel. It was destroyed many years since to build walls, and not a trace of it remains." - Petrie.

Sites 33 & 34

Nos. 33 and 34. Situated to the S. of 32 (two dolmen-circles). "Of these circles but slight vestiges remain. They were destroyed about fifteen years before 1837 by Mr. Walshe's tenants." - Petrie.

Site 35

No. 35. " Situated still further to the S" (dolmen-circle (several others)). "This circle has been destroyed, but the cromleac remains, with the table-stone displaced. There were other circles in the vicinity which were also destroyed." - Petrie.

" A few stones are still scattered about here and there." - Wood Martin.

Circle 36. To the right is the possible cairn, Site 35. In the top left is the large quarry where several sites were said to have been destroyed.

Site 36

No. 36. Situated in the field lying W. of XLV (dolmen-circle). "This circle is nearly perfect. It now (1837) consists of forty-nine stones, some of which are thrown down and displaced. There were other circles in the vicinity which were also destroyed." - Petrie.

"A few stones are still scattered about here and there." - Wood Martin.

No. 36 (a). A few paces to the N.E. of 36 (dolmen-cairn (?) encircled). "Traces of a large cairn, unnoticed by Petrie. The tenant of the land states that when he was quarrying in it for stones he turned up a quantity of bones and charcoal. The central cist is probably yet perfect; if so, this monument might well repay exploration. Traces of a surrounding circle of stones can still be observed." - Wood Martin.

Circle 36 on the south side of Carrowmore has a perfect circle. Listoghil is on the horizon at the right.