According to Petrie's records, up to six circles were destroyed in this area. There are many stray boulders in this area, with a large cluster piled up around a water hole just out of this picture to the right.
This monument is a ringfort with a diameter of 36 meters, and is not related to the megalithic monuments, belonging to a much later period. Ringforts were generally constructed from the early Christian to Medieval eras. They were mostly homes for farmers. 46a is probably a small hut foundation, which may date to the stone age. I can't find any referance to say what 46b might have been.
Petrie records that an unbroken chain of at least 6 circles were destroyed here around 1793 (below). There are many stray and erratic boulders, and some 30 to 40 have been gathered aound the south side of a water hole here. Certainly, when you look across the fence to the east, the field looks completely cleared. The photo above shows the spread of boulders to the west.
Site 48 is a dolmen with a large rough capstone. The circle is long gone; a stone which stood nearby until 1985 may have been a circle stone. Listoghil is hidden from view by a low hill. Circle 49 is about 100 meters to the west. Petrie's and Wood-Martin's reports are given below.
No. 46. Situated in the next field to LVII, to the W., and "close to the ditch which cuts off a portion of it." - Petrie. It is a few paces to the N.W. of LVII (caltragh?). "This circle appears rather to have been a cashel or fort than a place of interment. The diameter is about 120 feet, and the wall 10 feet in thickness. It is composed of enormous-sized stones mixed with earth, and has a ditch and bank surrounding it. It has also two smaller walls within it, and extending across it in parallel right lines, as see the plan." - P. "This curious monument appears to have been originally rudely circular...... The circumvallation consists of an earthen rampart mixed with stones, and about 10 feet in thickness. In the interior are two smaller banks extending across it in parallel lines. None of the enormous-sized stones which formerly composed the rampart now remain; but two boulders on either side of the gap in the S. arc of the circle may perhaps mark the jambs of a rude entrance." - Wood-Martin. Circular earthworks divided by a bank traversing their interior area are known to German archaeologists. See drawing of the "Schlossberg" near Witzen in the Neues Lausitzishes Mag., vol. lvii., pl. facing p. 466.
Site 46 is a large ringfort.
NO. 46 (a). Near No. 46 (dolmen-circle). This is not noticed by Petrie. "It is a very diminutive circle, 10 feet in diameter, hollow in the centre, and surrounded by thin flags, ten in number. An excavation was made, but without result." - W. M. Col. Wood-Martin compares it to a circle in Achill (co. Mayo').
No. 46 (b). About 150 paces to the S. of No. 46 (caltragh?). "A very similar structure to No. 46, not hitherto noticed" (and therefore not in Petrie's list). In common with No. 46, Col. Wood-Martin regards this as a sepulchral monument. It is not within the range of his map, but it makes the sixth monument of the class included in the Carrowmore group. R.S.M., p. 66.
No. 47. Situated immediately to the W. of No. 46 (dolmen-circle, and at least 6 others). "This circle is in part destroyed. About twenty stones remain. In the same field to the W. there are a vast number of large stones (the boundary wall is in great part composed of similar stones); but it is impossible to trace, with any certainty, a circular arrangement among them. It is certain, however, that within the memory of the present inhabitants of the townland, the chain of circles was carried on without interruption through the great field immediately to the N. They were destroyed by Mr. Walshe, who got a lease of the land from Lord Erne, in 1793, to clear the ground. The peasants who were employed in their destruction remember six or more of them distinctly, and the stones of which they were composed still remain partly in pits within the field, and partly in the surrounding walls. In all these circles bones were found beneath the cromleacs. Towards the N. of the field the series is again resumed." - Petrie.
No. 48. Situated in the N.E. angle of the great field mentioned above (dolmen-circle). [This and the ones which follow up to No. 59 inclusive are in the lands of Carrowmore.] "Of this circle, which appears to have been of great size, only one stone remains, but its cromleac is perfect. It consists of supporting stones and one covering-stone, which is 6 feet in length and breadth. The remaining stone of the circle is about 5 feet in height, and is 38 feet from the cromleac, which would give a diameter of at least 76 feet to the circle in its perfect state."- P.
"The covering-stone is slightly displaced. The chamber is beneath the surface level, and, without removing the table stone, could be partially excavated. The internment was (found to be) greatly disturbed. fragments of bone, and two pieces of charcoal. The contents were twenty-seven fragments of bone, and two pieces of charcoal. Some of the bones were certainly animal (as a vertebra, piece of the frontal bone, and two teeth); others doubtful."--W. M.
Some of the destroyed circles on the south side of Carrowmore, drawn by William Wakeman in 1879.
Image copyright Sligo County Library